First Capital Federal Credit Union is a not-for-profit, full-service financial institution owned by its members. At First Capital, we have operated solely for the benefit of our members for more than 60 years. That's because as a member-focused credit union, our members are always at the heart of everything we do.
More than Just Another Bank
Rather than pocket profits, earnings are returned to members in the form of lower loan rates, higher dividend rates, educational tools, convenient services, and much more. But our approach isn't only on providing quality products. We're equally focused on ensuring that our members receive a personalized, expedient experience with every interaction.
Quality Across The Board
All of the financial products and quality service provided to our members demonstrate First Capital's personal commitment to live our mission:
"The financial well-being of our members and dedication to our community come FIRST."
Some of our standout services include:
- Kasasa® Share Draft (Checking) accounts – Benefits abound with free Kasasa Share Draft (Checking) accounts. Choose from our Kasasa Cash®, Kasasa Cash Back®, and Kasasa Tunes® accounts -- each 100% free and with unique rewards like digital download reimbursements, high dividends, cash back in your pocket — plus, refunds on ATM fees, nationwide!*
- Kasasa Saver® - Work toward your savings goals — automatically. Your free, innovative Kasasa Saver® account links to either your Kasasa Cash or Kasasa Cash Back account. Rewards earned in your share draft (checking) are automatically transferred to Saver every month, making saving incredibly easy!
- Customized Lending – Whether you're selecting from our personal, auto, home, or student loans, you'll receive a competitive rate as well as professional and friendly service.
- Convenient Services – At First Capital, we strive to provide the same value in less time, making more time for everything else that's important to you. Stay on track of your finances without adding on another task to your already-full schedule via our wide range of convenient services.
The History of First Capital
In order to envision the future, it is first necessary to appreciate the past.
This credit union was originally established as the S. Morgan Smith Credit Union and incorporated under the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on December 23, 1954. It became known as the Allis Chalmers Credit Union upon that company's acquisition of the S. Morgan Smith Company on April 1, 1959. Subsequently, it was renamed the First Capital Credit Union on November 28, 1986, upon the breakup of the Allis Chalmers Corporation. The Credit Union converted to a Federal charter on November 15, 1993, and became known as First Capital Federal Credit Union.
The Credit Union maintained an on-site office at the Allis Chalmers plant on Lincoln Street in York City until 1974, when it became the first credit union in York County to locate its office outside of the sponsor company's premises. The new location was 2490 Catherine Street in West Manchester Township.
A branch office, another first for a York County credit union, was opened in October 1988 on Kingston Court in East York.
The main office was relocated from Catherine Street to 1720 Loucks Road, near the West Manchester Mall, on March 2, 1991.
The Kingston Road branch was closed in August 1992, and another East York branch was opened in November 1997 at 2105 Industrial Highway.
The East York branch then moved to 161 Kent Road, the former York Tracktown Employees CU office, which was acquired in a merger (August 1999).
A Hanover branch, the first credit union office in that community, was opened in the Hanover Crossings Shopping Center ( Eisenhower Drive) in March 2002 and moved to a permanent facility at 100 Frederick Street in March 2004 and was closed in December 2007.
First Capital moved into its current headquarters, located at 1601 Kenneth Road, in January 2004.
A South York branch office (951 S. Queen Street) was added due to the result of a merger with WellSpan FCU in February 2005.
In October of 2008, First Capital acquired the York Sylvania Employees FCU.
And in August of 2009, First Capital closed its South York office and reopened in a brand new 'green' branch located at 2602 Course Road, near the intersection of South Queen St. and Leader Heights Road. In July 2012, the branch received its GOLD LEED(R) certification.
In May of 2015, First Capital closed its East York office and opened a brand new branch located at 2801 Eastern Boulevard.
The First Capital of today is a result of the following mergers:
- Danskin FCU - November 7, 1985
- Susquehanna Pfaltzgraff FCU - June 20, 1988
- Lehigh York (Portland Cement) FCU - April 30, 1995
- B-M-Y Employees CU - July 1, 1996
- York Tracktown Employees CU - August 1, 1999
- YHLQ FCU - January 1, 2001
- WellSpan FCU - February 1, 2005
- York Sylvania Employees FCU - October 1, 2008
- Lyon Employees FCU - January 31, 2014